tims auto repair
tims auto repair, mechanic
Experience:  owned repair shop for 25yrs
14541291

My car is a 1996 Dodge Intrepid 3.3 L. I'm having trouble to

Customer Question

Customer: My car is a 1996 Dodge Intrepid 3.3 L. I'm having trouble to start and run the engine.My car STARTS-BUT THEN STALLS.I've checked the battery, the starter and both are good.The starter can start the engine but engine working only 2-3 sec and stops by itself.When the engine running 2-3 sec, I noticed that indicators on the dashboard (rpm) and (gasoline level) weren't working.TANK fuel GAUGE shows zero even fuel in tank is almost full.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: When they are working both (turned on by ignition key), there is no problem to start the engine and engine is running very well.This is the second time it wouldn't start in the winter whether.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $16) to post your type of question to Chrysler Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: YES
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  tims auto repair replied 11 months ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you

the problem you have the the gauge cluster itself..

the cluster needs to be rebuilt or replaced..

sometimes you can turn the key on and slap the top of the dash to jar the cluster and the gauges will begin to work,when they work it will start

even if it does start,the luster will need to be replaced,if not it will quit again

you can get a good buy on a cluster from your local salvage yard or at www.ebay.com

thanks

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feedback ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help.