George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master 15+ years
13574682

Im ***** *****. Im trying to replace a serpentine belt 1998

Customer Question

Customer: Im ***** *****. Im trying to replace a serpentine belt for a 1998 dodge stratus
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Ive loosened the nuts from the alternator. But I dont see a way of putting the belt back on without taking parts off around the engine.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Dodge Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: ok
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  George H. replied 11 months ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

What is the year, model and engine size of your Dodge?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It's a 1998 Dodge Stratus 2.4L

Thank you

If the alternator is not moving once you loosened the mounting bolts and turned the adjustment bolt then the adjuster might be stripped. Can you push on the alternator to move it in as you turn the adjuster?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
the adjuster is fine. I guess I'm just wondering how to get the belt back because I see no room to do it for the bottom pulleys.

If you string it the same way you removed the old belt then you put it on the alternator last and tighten the adjuster.

Can you tell me where you are having trouble getting it back on?

You do have the power steering belt off?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The belt fell off. I understand the diagram to the belt and how to loosen and tighten the tensioner. Basically I'm just wondering if you have to take a wheel off or other engine parts in order to be able to manuaver the new belt back on.

No pulley removal, you need to remove the power steering belt then install the alternator belt but there is a reason why the belt came off and that needs to be determined.

Do you know how to remove the power steering belt?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'm not sure how to remove it no. The old belt had high miles on it and looked bad when I inspected it after it broke.

Ok, use this link >click here< and go to step 7 so you can loosen the pump. Replace both belts and you should be good

Let me know what I can do to help

Thank you

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok yeah that makes more sense according to the diagram. I'll try it out tomorrow when there is daylight and let you know if I have anymore trouble. Thank you.

Great, please let me know if you have further questions

Thank you