sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

I have a Dodge Dakota 4.7and it had a broken cv shaft on

Customer Question

I have a Dodge Dakota 4.7*****and it had a broken cv shaft on left side and now when you put it in*****it is taken off to the left. I jacked it up and both wheels on turn but the left side is a little slower.
Any suggestions.
Thanks Eddie
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It's normal for wheels to turn at different speeds from left to right as you've seen, the right side will almost always spin faster with no load.

Do you now have a pull to the left that's only present in four wheel drive after replacing the CV shaft?

If so, what all did you remove when replacing it?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
it pulls to the left and all we did was took the upper and lower ball joint loose to remove the bad axle shaft and put a brand new one back in it.

Do you have access to a hoist?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have 2 of them in my shop

With it on a hoist and in four wheel drive, have a person inside brake torque it between reverse and drive and watch for excessive movement in the upper and lower control arm bushings as well as the ball joints. YOu should see abnormal movement there or possibly in the rear springs/shackles.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The only think I see here is the left front sway bar link bolt is broken, could that cause this???

It's probably not related but if that's all you see then go ahead and replace it to see if that makes a difference.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
You are right it did not make any difference it is still squirrely. It is really scarey to drive
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
You were right I put new one on but this thing is squirrely to drive, its dangerous when in*****

Was it brake torqued while watching for control arm movement as I described? It sounds as if thrust angle is changing under torque.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
it was in reverse and forward in***** The only movement I seen and it was in the back springs. It had the same amount of movement on both sides and it was not that much.

It was brake torqued though, correct? You need to apply torque in gear.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
We sent it to another repair shop. Thanks
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 10 months ago.

You're welcome!