Greg
Greg, Technician
Experience:  17 years Shop Owner /Technician. 27 years experience,
29331485

I have a 2000 Dodge Durango the cruise control light comes

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Dodge Durango the cruise control light comes on but then goes immediately out most of the time sometimes it'll come on and cruise control works fine do you have a clue
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Is the cruise working now? or is it not working at all? This switch is not like a mechanical on or off switch, the switch actually goes to the PCM and the PCM works the cruise light through the servo. If the cruise doesn't work at all and you can't get the light to stay on, First thing to do, is make sure your brake light switch isn't stuck on. Check your brake lights, and make sure they are not stuck on and work correctly with the pedal. Let me know what you find there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah I thought of the brake light switch and replaced it and it is still not working does the same thing when you first started up you can its a button it'll come on for a second and then go off
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

alright, The cruise servo out under the hood, passenger side near the hood hinge I believe, Does it look good? the vacuum line look good, can you pull the cable and it feels free. If these set a code, depending on the code, it'll lock the cruise out. You don't happen to have an advanced type scanner do you? Is the check engine light on or off when driving?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All I have is at obd2 & abs scanner
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The check engine light is on has been since I bought the vehicle
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

I follow you, can you visually look at that servo out under the hood? and make sure the cable and vacuum line look attached and in good shape on it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
both cable and vacuum lines are attached in good shape
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The thing is some days it'll come on and work fine other days it will not
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I follow you, that is really interesting. Since the brake light switch or the vacuum line at the servo were my two suggestions, Let me opt out and see if another expert has another suggestion. I will opt out and open your question back up at this time. Thank you.

Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.

Hi .

My name is ***** ***** i will be working with you and hopefully find your issue .

First as my fellow expert said you will need a dealer level scan tool to check for malfunction codes, which will not be able to read with a generic code reader ,which only gets "P0" codes we need to check for "P1" codes .

Most common is brake switch as he said and which you checked and replaced .

You need to check for codes as in your case i'm guessing you have a P1595 speed control solenoid circuit ..

intermittent hence coming on and off.

But this you will know after checking for codes .

First you could check the vacuum hose disconnect at the servo unit and check for vacuum, should have a min

of 10 In,Hg.. normally 15-18

Switch off engine vacuum should hold for 10in,hg.

But ones you have the codes you will know what your problem is .

Please get back to me with the codes if you have any or not.

Kind regards Greg..