Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Dodge/Cummins and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
12365498

I have a 2015 Dodge Ram 1500, I tried installing a eight

Customer Question

I have a 2015 Dodge Ram 1500, I tried installing a eight sensor parking system on it, as you may know for it to work correctly one wire needs to go to reverse lamp and one wire needs to go to the brake lamp, I did just that but for some very odd reason there is not 12 volts at both of these lines, only about three volts, I decided to hardwire it to constant 12 volts and added a switch but it's kind of annoying, also want to install a back up camera but have the same issue, low voltage at the lights and wires, any way I can hook it up correctly somewhere there is 12 volts at a reverse wire and a brake wire and what wire do I need to tap into for the camera?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer. Where on the truck are you tapping into the reverse and stop light wires?

Chris

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I tried tapping into them at the lights at the back of the truck and that did not work I than tried tapping into them in the cab, I found the white and tan wire for reverse lamp and the green and black wire for the brake right above the pedal but both ways it's low voltage
Expert:  Chris replied 11 months ago.

You should have 12 volts right at the lights at the back of the truck. Recheck the voltage back at the lsmps again. I will look up the wire colors and tell you which is the stop and which is the backup.

Chris

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I did try at the lamps but they are not 12 volts for some odd reason, only barely 8 volts I don't know why dodge has everything at low voltage
Expert:  Chris replied 11 months ago.

No, they should be 12 volts. The back up wire is a White wire with a Red stripe, and the stop/turn is a White with a dark Green stripe (on the left lrear lamp). Recheck that and make sure your battery is charged and your voltmeter has a good ground.

Chris

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I did ensure that I have good ground and those are the wires I tapped into however voltmeter says about 8 volts and when I hooked up my sensors or the camera they would not work when truck is put in reverse as they are not receiving 12 volts
Expert:  Chris replied 11 months ago.

If that is the case, then there is a problem with the lamp driver circuits in the TIPM (electronic fuse box under the hood) Those bulbs are 12 volts. Remeasure the voltage with the bulbs plugged in. There may not be enough load on the circuit if you just use your meter.

Chris

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 11 months ago.

In other words, the TIPM will not provide full 12 volts if it does not see the proper load on the circuit. That is how it knows if a hulb is burnt out

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 11 months ago.

Hello, have you had a chance to recheck the voltage with the bulb connected up? If there is still low voltage, then something is up with the TIPM. If there is now 12 volts, then connect your wires at the lamp connector.

Chris

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I tried it, and it works, camera wise but still no luck with the front sensors
Expert:  Chris replied 11 months ago.

Well that's a start at least. What do the front sensors need to see in order for them to be "active"?

Chris

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
They only activate when they receive 12 volt pulse from the brakes when they are applied but they are not receiving 12 volts when attached to green with black stripe wire right above brake pedal
Expert:  Chris replied 11 months ago.

Ok got it. Let me look at the wiring diagram and see where else you can tap into for that brale signal. Will get back to you asap.

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 11 months ago.

Ok, after extensive research I have decided that the best place to tap into the 12 volt brake lamp feed is at the BCM (Body Control Module. The BCM is mounted up under the dash to the left of the steering column. It is a flat looking module and will have up to 7 connectors plugged into it. There is a 39 wire connector with a White wire with a Dark Green stripe. That wire is for the 3rd brake lamp up on the back of the cab, and is in terminal # ***** of that connector. Find that wire and tap into it for your 12 volt stop lamp feed. Below is a couple of links for the connector information . Copy and paste that link into your browser's address bar and hit enter to see the info.

I hope this helps!!

Chris

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1bmgxcfxffvmmtq/BCM%20connector%202.doc?dl=0

.

Expert:  Chris replied 11 months ago.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qmxjlvnn7ag1k7b/BCM%20connector.doc?dl=0

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I will try to find it, but also would need a 12 volt tap into the reverse line to activate reverse sensors. The entire module needs to be in the cab and it would be difficult to put it in the box
Expert:  Chris replied 11 months ago.

We may be able to tap into the BCM again for the reverse light feed. I would have to look that up tomorrow.

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 11 months ago.

I see. Well send me the vehicle's Vin number and I will see what I can find.

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 10 months ago.

Do you have a VIN number for me?

Chris

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Sorry I have not gotten back to you, but I am just out of town and will get you the vin number tomorrow, out of curiosity what would you need the vin number for?
Expert:  Chris replied 10 months ago.

I want the Vin number so I can pull up the correct wiring diagram.

Chris