bill
bill, dodge master tech
Experience:  25 years with dodge drivability and electrical expert
5203640

I have a 2003 Dodge Ram with a 4.7l engine. I had a head

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Dodge Ram with a 4.7l engine. I had a blown head gasket where water was getting into the cylinder and thus getting into the engine oil. It was driven about 5 miles with the water in the oil. Head gasket was replaced but it took the mechanic about 6 months to do it. Shortly after I got the truck back the oil pressure would drop at idle after the vehicle was warmed up. I removed the oil pan and the pickup tube is not dirty at all. I checked the oil pressure to verify that it is actually dropping and it is dropping down to almost zero psi. I have concluded that it is either the oil pump or bearings. Is there anything i should be looking for before I tear into it. Is there a way to differentiate between bad oil pump and rod bearings?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  bill replied 11 months ago.

based on my experience with this engine the MAIN bearings will be the culprit as they are the primary bearing that actually creates the oil pressure the rods will not cause a low oil pressure situation as they are the last in line, pump feeds the mains then rods then heads, pump failure is UNCOMMON but the main bearings will die a swift death if exposed to excessive dirt or poor lubrication, and you will get low oil pressure at idle warm