George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master 15+ years
13574682

1996 saturn 1.9 singal ohc. when the outside air temp gets

Customer Question

1996 saturn 1.9 singal ohc. when the outside air temp gets below freezing, the car wont start. installed new fuel pump , car ran fine till it got cold again... disconnected fuel rail supply, no gas when cranking eng. what can i check next.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  George H. replied 11 months ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

The coolant temperature sensor is a problem on these. It is on the transmission end of the engine and has a yellow and black wire to it.

Do you have a voltmeter to read the resistance of the sensor and the power to the pump?

Inspect the connector to see if there is corrosion or coolant in the sensor and let me know on the voltmeter

Thank you

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no voltmeter.. is the temp sensor expensive, or can it be jumppered to check.

If you are not turning on the pump then I don't think it is all in the temp senor (about $12) but you would be better off getting a voltmeter and I can guide you to checking the pump circuit and the coolant temp circuit. It means working when it won't start in the cold though.