Wolfgang
Wolfgang, Master Auto Tech
Experience:  Master, L1, L2, ASE 15yrs and running.
19871424

I'm ***** ***** and I am searching the net looking who may

Customer Question

Customer: Hi - I'm ***** ***** and I am searching the net looking for others who may have had experience with a similar problem I am chasing. On a 2009 Dodge Challenger SRT-8 with a 6.1 giving a P0339 Crankshaft position sensor intermittent code. Have changed the crank sensor - put a spacer under the sensor to verify clearance - scoped the crank and cam sensors - occasionally the crank pattern will show an extra wide gap at the top of the 5v pattern- other tech checked the teeth supposedly ok
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Is this a computer or someone ?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Dodge Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: If this veh is fixed it would be worth the 18
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
You can contact me at***@******.*** -
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If you havent checked the crank sensor wiring and wiring connection/terminals this needs done.I have seen issues with the wiring in some cases being damaged or shorted causing a fault like this here needing repaired.I have also seen issues with in some rare cases on some models that had the crank sensor fault like this here is the crank walking back and forth in the engine due to bearing issues or due to the crank itself at fault needing replaced.This will all have to be checked into further to see if the fault can be located and then repaired from there.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi, I gave enough information to make it clear I have been chasing a real vehicle with a real problem. I also gave enough information to make it clear I have scoped the crank and cam sensors with an occasional long pulse width on the top of the 5 v pattern. If this is something you have history with then what were the tests and the results of the problem failures. I have been informed there may be 2 crank shafts with different reluctors which will fit in this engine. This eng. has just been out and had a crankshaft. Are you familiar with this information and what is there to look for to proceed to verify if the crank is the right one or the wrong one. Such as if you dual trace off of a coil and the crank is there different counts of duty cycles on these two crankshafts. Or will a boroscope in the crank sensor hole show the differences etc. Or is this likely to be a problem others have an answer to.
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

I apologize for the delay.Unfortunately my info is limited on the differences in the crank myself.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Expert:  Wolfgang replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail. Do not rate yet, just reply. Put yourself in my shoes, I can not see, smell, hear, feel or touch your car, nor do I know any history on it. So take into consideration I am doing my best based on what you tell me. Also understand fixing cars often requires sophisticated tools, that you may not own. So even if you can not do what is outlined in my answer, that does not mean my answer is wrong deserving to be rated negative.

please look at the attached pdf file . the ecu needs to be reprogrammed to updated software and will rectify your issue!!

anything else?

if not.....

I try to be online 365 days a year.

I only earn a paycheck when a customer rates me Ok, Good, Excellent.

This rating is VERY IMPORTANT! Your rating compensates me on my time and my expertise on your issue!

A lot of the repair information and fixes are hard to come by!!

So please rate me above!!!! Bonuses are also greatly appreciated!!!

If I have not addressed your original question to your liking yet, I hope you will reply and continue working with me, since your charged the full question value, regardless if you rate negative or not at all. If you rate me now, do not worry, you can still reply later to me.

Thanks

Wolfgang

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi , this vehicle has already been reflashed. This reflashing tsb is referencing 6 spd trans this is auto

the only thing is left is to perform an overlay harness from the pcm to the crank sensor.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I may get to look at the vehicle more in the next couple of days
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 10 months ago.

Ok let me know

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi, scope checked the crank sensor at the wire coming out of the sensor and at the pcm. To verify it was not the wiring from the sensor to the pcm - installed pins at the crank sensor and at the pcm . About 6 in. from the pcm snipped the wire and scoped it with my wiring loop. The cars wiring loop disconnected. Cleared codes - ran it again. Code came on again. Someone else suggested checking the reluctor to crank sensor clearance - should be about .035 - this is about .110 - further verification is next. The crankshaft was sent to us by a supplier who sent it to someone else who may have turned the reluctor wheel down too much. Eng. may come back out to look further.

so the crankshaft was replaced at one point? if so any other mods? i wish i have had known that the crank was replaced !! any other info that i should know?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The above communication referred to the crank having been replaced. 1/06/2016 11:03

geez i cannot read!! sorry

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It may be a couple of weeks to get back to it.

just let me know!!