gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Dodge/Jeep/Chrysler dealership technician
12249065

I HAVE A 2011 RAM 1500 2WD. 300 MILES AGO THE FRONT BRAKES

Customer Question

I HAVE A 2011 RAM 1500 2WD. 300 MILES AGO THE FRONT BRAKES STARTED DRAGGING AND GOT VERY HOT. RAM FORUM SEEM TO POINT TO THE BRAKE CALIPERS. SO I REPLACED THEM WITH THE MASTER CYCLINER AND RUBBER BRAKE LINES. WORKED FINE FOR ABOUT 400 MILES THEN STARTS DRAGGING INTERMITTENTLY AGAIN.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

Did you replace the brake pads? Did you check to make sure the pads float/slide smoothly in the adapter bracket? If you live in the rust belt at all, the adapter will get rusty and swell slightly and cause the pads to bind up. Even if there are chrome pad slides that get replaced with the new pads, often you have to chip off the swollen rust flakes before installing the new slides.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pads were replaced 500 miles before problem started. All parts clean and corrosion free. The last trip I took it started to drag about 75 miles into. But the 150 mile trip back no drag. Intermittent.
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

You don't rest your foot on the pedal at all while driving do you? Many people claim they don't but may not realize it, any slight pressure is enough to heat up the pads.

If you take the calipers off ,do the pads slide smoothly on the adapter bracket?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I definitely do not rest my foot on the b re brake pedal. I am driving my other vehicle at this time and it will be later this week before I have a chance to re inspect the calipers .I will let you know on my findings. Thanks
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

OK, let me know