Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

I think I need to replace my 2005 Dodge ram trucks muffler

Customer Question

I think I need to replace my 2005 Dodge ram trucks muffler or cat , it is a duel system. Can I just have it cut off ? so I dont have to spend a lot of money? It started off getting hot , I got a parts store to do a check on it when the emmissions light came on they said it was the thermostate , it was replaced but muffle sounds weak and very little exaust comes out of the right hand side one ( passenger side ?? and ideals ?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  I. Silva replied 11 months ago.

Hello...welcome and thank you for using Justanswer.

What model (1500 or 2500) and what engine size do you have ?

You will need to find what section of the exhaust is leaking and also what can be replaced.

The cat(s) is definitely the part more expensive to replace ,the vehicle still to new ,I don't believe that the cat is bad.

Once you figure out what is leaking ,you can get an estimate to replace the part or go to a shop that works most on exhaust systems like MIDAS and they will fix(weld) or replace just a small section of the exhaust .

Do you know if this exhaust was ever replaced with an after market ?

If there is no flow on the passenger side I would check the tail pipe on that side to see if it broke off the muffler.

Good luck.

Let me know.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Hi there .I don't have the live phone set up yet.

Is there anything else you need that I can help you now ?

I am sorry .

Please let me know.

Thank you.