Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Dodge/Cummins and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
12365498

I have a 2005 Dodge Neon SXT (2.4L). It was very hard to

Customer Question

Hi,I have a 2005 Dodge Neon SXT (2.4L). It was very hard to start one day and drove sluggishly until warm. It would not go more than 60 MPH. Had Advance Auto read the code, which indicated a Crankshaft Position Sensor problem. I replaced the CPS and although the engine turns over, it will not start. I can smell fuel, and was thinking of replacing the Camshaft Position Sensor and spark plugs. I have also read some posts about the CPS relearn procedure. I am sure I am missing something and am seeking guidance before merely taking a "shotgun" approach. Thanks!
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer. I have seen issues where if a cam or crank sensor shorts out, it can set a code in the other sensor. In other words if a cam sensor shorts out internally it can set a crank sensor code and visa versa. So, on some engines I replace BOTH sensors. And just FYI, I ONLY use Mopar brand cam or crank sensors because I have had problems with some after market "made in China" sensors. So I recommend replacing the cam sensor and if you cam use a OEM Mopar sensor.

I hope this helps!

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok; I am replacing the cam sensor today and will reply with the results. Thanks!
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome!

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replaced the cam sensor and the plugs but no change. Still turns over but will not start. Feels like it's going to fire every couple of seconds, like it's trying to start on gas fumes. (I smell plenty of gas so I'm presuming fuel delivery is OK.) I replaced the plug wires and coil pack about a year ago; would they be a potential issue? The Advance Auto rep recommended I inspect the timing belt; he thought I might have some broken teeth.
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

It may be a timing belt issue. The belt should be replaced every 100,00 miles. has it ever been replaced? It could also be a fuel delivery problem. Can you hear the fuel pump come on for 2 seconds at key on?

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't think the belt has ever been replaced (we got the car at 133K miles) and yes, the fuel pump comes on.
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Hmmmm, then pull back the timing cover (after removing the bolts) and check that belt. This may be your problem. Let me know what you find.

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How difficult is it to pull the timing cover? Any pix/drawings would be greatly appreciated.
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Let me find some info for you. Be right back.

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Here is the information for removing the timing cover, but you can just remove the bolts holding the cover and pull it back a little bit to at least inspect the bely.

Copy the link below and paste it into your browser's address bar and hit enter to see the info.

I hope this helps,

Chris

.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rwvc1yb3z65pmj2/FRONT%20COVER.doc?dl=0

.