b5demon
b5demon, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE and Chrysler master technician for over 17 years Sprinter and Viper specialist
13235514

2001 Dodge 2500 5.9L Diesel engine refuses to start after

Customer Question

Customer: 2001 Dodge 2500 5.9L Diesel engine refuses to start after driving for a while. Let it sit for 30 minutes and off she goes.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I've had the fuel pump replaced, the Throttle position sensor replaced. Still does it's trick every 1000 miles or so.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Dodge Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  b5demon replied 1 year ago.

Hi Welcome to Just Answer! Which fuel pump did they replace? There are two on your truck one is the low pressure or lift pump the other is the injection pump.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The pump mounted on the block was replaced, along with the fuel filter.
Expert:  b5demon replied 1 year ago.

ok did they say if it was the injection pump or the lift pump both are on the block

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe it was the lift pump. The garage opted to replace the block mounted pump versus installing the pump in the tank.
Expert:  b5demon replied 1 year ago.

ok usually we recommend switching it to the in tank pump because of the issue we have had with the block mounted lift pumps. but your issue sounds more like an injection pump issue. We have seen a lot of issues with them acting like that and it usually happens after the lift pump fails too because the injection pump also uses the diesel fuel for lubrication so when the lift pump fails it causes damage to the injection pump due to the lack of diesel fuel for lubrication.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I assume that you are recommending that the injector pump be replaced. Is that so?
Expert:  b5demon replied 1 year ago.

yes they should double check the new lift pump but you will most likely need a new injection pump it happens pretty often

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, Thank you or your help. I wish you a Happy New Year!! Best from Dan
Expert:  b5demon replied 1 year ago.

thanks let me know if you need any more help

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks again, I'll try to replace the injector pump, tomorrow. I'll le you know if the problem occurs again.
Expert:  b5demon replied 1 year ago.

ok