b5demon
b5demon, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE and Chrysler master technician for over 17 years Sprinter and Viper specialist
13235514

My 2007 Dodge Sprinter van 2500 turbo diesel has an error

Customer Question

My 2007 Dodge Sprinter van 2500 turbo diesel has an error code 0f P0299. Loss of power but still runs at a sluggish pace. Had it checked out by mechanic and they suggested replacing the turbo at a cost of $3,000. The battery/alternator is now on as well. I need to know if the turbo boost sensor could be the problem and how long can i drive the van with the engine light problems and turbo problems? The battery shut down yesterday and the van would not shift out of first geat until I charged the battery witha quick charge but the ba***** *****ght is still on.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  camerontech replied 11 months ago.

hi there,

im cam, a licenced diagnostic tech.

i have seen this code a couple times on these, and both times it was the intercooler hose.

it usually ruptures from oil soaking.

have a visual inspection on the hoses and make sure they are seated, not cracked or collapsing or leaking.

the charging system will have to be inspected for the charge light

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The mechanic already changed the washers and hardware on that hose

ok, no problem.

i will opt out for another tech to jump in

cam

Expert:  b5demon replied 11 months ago.

hi new expert here you first need to check the intercooler and hoses for any signs of oil leaks. If you see oil leaking out of them they can also leak boost pressure so they would need to be replaced. If those are ok the boost pressure sensor would be the next thing to replace before replacing the turbocharger. Let me know if you need any more help.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am trying my best not to get ripped off for $3000. Do you think I can replace the sensor /intercooler myself?
Expert:  b5demon replied 11 months ago.

the sensor is pretty easy there are two bolts that hold it on the intercooler would only need to be replaced if you fine evidence of a leak

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have already had a Sprinter Tech check the hose and replace the connector fillings.
Expert:  b5demon replied 11 months ago.

ok if there isn't a sign of a leak anywhere the sensor would be the next thing to replace