Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

2016 dodge dart just recently got pretty stuck in the mud

Customer Question

2016 dodge dart just recently got pretty stuck in the mud and I'd figured that the mud would get into some undesired places under there so I took it for a test drive afterwards through some back roads to see if I could spot any new problems that might have occurred.1st. I noticed that accelerating over 70 mph the steering wheel would begin to shake or vibrate and had a little bit of play. Which of course might indicate that there is quite a bit of mud that built up in and around the dampening rods, CV joints, driveline, tierod ends, on the outside of the wheel bearings and pretty anything having to do with the suspension of course. 2nd. When accelerating my car seems to have slight trouble shifting gears on its own but it still manages to do so. I heard the term slipping transmission before although I'm skeptical that that may be the case however I do know that there can be various factors that can cause a "slipping transmission". 3rd. Upon starting the engine the car seems to put out a good little burst of exhaust. Now this compact sedan is pretty hot and does have some sexy whine to it when starting and pushing the horses but before getting stuck it never had that "burst" upon starting. I should also mention that when I was in the process of getting my car unstuck I heard and felt a noticeable type of clunk occur down there. Like heavy metal breaking or gears slipping in rotation because a foreign object was putting the gears in a bind. I'm no expert but I would much appreciate some good mechanical advice. I know mud can really mess things up down there especially as stuck as I was. I actually couldn't even see underneath my car because it was so compacted with mud. But car is still drive able. I know that if I ruptured a boot or crack a dampening rod or blew the transmission of course then it would not be drive able. As for the exhaust I'm thinking mud and excess water may have gotten in through the weeping hole down there. Like I said if any of you have an opinion I'm open to advice and enlightenment.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

When stuck in the mud it usually takes a good amount of power to get the vehicle out.I have seen in several cases when getting a vehicle out of the mud that this can cause an issue with damaging components.The biggest issue is the transmisison,transmisison mount breaking or even drive line or drive line connection/joint damage.The exhaust may have mud in it causing the burst you see here and may need to be driven to clear out.

I would have the under carriage inspected fully for any damaged components needing repaired or replaced to correct this here.If any issues are found the affected components will need corrected.

I suspect you may have mud on the inside of the rim causing a wobble or vibration but may also have bent tie rods which can cause this as well.This will need inspected further.

As for the shifting issue it is very possible the transmission was damaged when stuck or over heated trying to remove it from the mud and may have damaged internal components needing replaced.I have seen clutch/disc failure when trying to get un stuck before to where the transmission needs removed,inspected and repaired.

Unfortunately it is difficult to pinpoint from here for sure which components are at fault here without the vehicle being fully inspected.It is best to have the vehicle put up on a hoist to have the complete under carriage inspected to see what needs repaired or replaced and if everything appears visually o.k. then the transmission will most likely need removed and inspected internally and repaired.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete