Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

How much do you cost?
, your a machine aren't you?

Customer Question

Customer: how much do you cost?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: your a machine aren't you?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Dodge Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: I have a 2012 Ram 1500 Tradesman that came without cruise control. I bought it used and the salesman told me it had cruise. On driving it home I found out it did not have cruise control so when I took it back, the dealer said "No Problem" and had a Rostra(?) after market cruise control kit added that has worked so far. Now, I want to buy a used steering wheel on Ebay that has the speed control buttons on it and plug it into the wiring harness. I read the answer on this forum that said it couldn't be done on a 2012 Ram 1500 but I have an after market Rostra Cruise control on my 2012 Ram 1500 now that is working.....so what is the real answer?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  bill replied 11 months ago.

first we are DEFINITLY NOT machines we are a group of people working in ur chosen industry ,in my case a dodge tech with 30 years under my belt at a dodge/jeep/Chrysler dealer in new England, the other experts are all over the USA and world, we do our best to help people with problems, the site charges a fee and when you rate us in a positive way we get pair a small portion of that fee.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Bill....you need to read my question and reply to it. That is why I am (maybe) paying you money. You should understand that when someone first gets to the website, it doesn't say that this is a "pay" site until after a minute when the screen gets dark and the "buy-in" appears saying I have to pay for an answer...kind of deceptive...at least from my part. It should say it is a pay site BEFORE I get there...and once you agree to pay, it takes all sorts of contortions to try to get me to pay for a monthly and weekly service I don't want or need.....So if it appears like I might be slightly miffed, THAT WOULD BE CORRECT.. NOW, do you have an answer for my question or not?
Expert:  bill replied 11 months ago.

now as for your problem NO if your truck didn't originally come with cruise control you cannot install it, it is NOT just putting a set of switches and go it IS a program and some hardware including the switches, the problem is there is no factory kit available for the ram, as it was a very high factory order option, around 99% so there is no demand to have it installed after the fact

Expert:  bill replied 11 months ago.

sir DO OT TAKE YOUR ANGER AT THE SITE OUT ON ME if I sound miffed I can get so when a person assumes I have ANY control over the site charges I DO NOT I log in and see a group of questions and choose one to answer that's how I see the site

Expert:  bill replied 11 months ago.

I have read your question and will do my best to provide a complete and detailed answer the more questions you ask the better I can answer just remember I am a regular person as you are

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I already have an existing after market cruise control operating on the truck so I don't know what to think of your answer. It would be almost impossible to connect the after market to the trucks computer yet it is being done.....The SSC or SVC (fly by wire) program in the computer is accessed by the after market system to allow the speed control to work. How can that be done?
Expert:  bill replied 11 months ago.

if you already have an existing system I would leave it alone, our system is FAR DIFFERENT, it is activated via a communication bus that tells the engine computer to set a speed and hold it, the rostra system you have simply mimicks or "fakes" a accelerator pedal input which we DO NOT do, the kit part number(###) ###-####uses a specific switch to activate it's own dedicated module below is a link to the rostra website where you can check out the kit.

I seriously do not see this kit being able to be activated by a factory switch that is basically a computer itself and only sends requests to the engine computer

http://www.rostra.com/custom-pedal-bypass-cruise-control-by-rostra.php