Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

2008 dodge charger jerks when decelerating and code P0016

Customer Question

Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I'm an independent contractor here at Just Answer.

This code sets when the computer is monitoring the cam and crank sensors and sees a difference in there readings. Normally caused by timing chain tensioner issues. Was that replaced when you did the timing chain? Did you check the crank and cam sensor tone rings for damage? Are you sure the timing is right?

Thanks for asking your question and letting me try to help you.

You should see a rating screen if I have posted an answer, not for an info request.

Your rating is my feedback. If I don't get feedback from customers, I will not be able to continue helping customers here.

Rating me good, bad, or not rating at all does not effect the fee you have paid nor does it close the post.

Follow up/Reply as many times as needed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replaced the tensioner, but didn't prime it with oil before install.

It may have jumped time on that first start. Can you monitor the CMP and CKP readings and do a compression test.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If the engine has jumped time, is it possible to fix this if so without taking the timing cover off again.

To make sure the timing is perfectly set you would need to remove the front cover.

I like to stay in contact with my customers that appear not pleased, still working on the concern, or have not rated yet. I assume you were not pleased with my help. I hate that you have spent money to get an answer but left not happy. Can you tell me why, or can I help more. If its more help you need just reply and we can pick up where we left off.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I removed the timing cover, and discovered that the tensioner O ring was damaged which lead to chain becoming loose. Replaced the O ring, reinstall the timing chain to spec and engine runs fine, no check engine codes or jecking during deceleration or lost of power. Thanks for the insight knowledge to my problem.

Glad you got it resolved. Would you like to rate my response?