Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

Goad
, yes...the MIL light came on when started my car

Customer Question

Customer: ***** ***** goad
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: yes...the MIL light came on when started my car tonite. Then wierd things... my automatic transmission..indicator DID show [D] framed like normal...but THEN.. the P R N D were ALL framed PLUS had an "8" at the end..also framed..butting it into MANUAL mode..kept going back and forth.. labored accelleration when it was in "weird" mode! : (
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Dodge Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: MIL light symbol remains on
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ALSO...last week the ELECTRONIC THROTTLE cONTROL LIGHT went on...labored acceleration
.....but has not gone on again for 2 weeks now.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have a 2008 Dodge Caliber
appx 70,000 miles
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The MIL indicator light stays on....and car switches from automatic mode..into the weird manual "8th" gear! ?? : (
only a mile to home...made it!
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 11 months ago.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer!. This is Ed and I thank you for your personal request.

I'm afraid that since there are so many opportunities for ETC lamp illumination and reduced acceleration (by default), it's difficult for me to provide advice other than a generic sort. If you could obtain an engine AND transmission scan, I could be more definitive. Otherwise, I have to rely on probability and there's a higher chance of missing the mark. Despite the lack of gull-wing doors, the engine and transmission on your Caliber are quite technically-advanced. More info is always preferred.

Would you like to proceed on the basis of symptoms only? Or perhaps have a scan done to get (at least) trouble codes stored in the engine controller-PCM? These can be obtained with conventional CAN-based scan tools or by a complimentary scan at many large-chain auto parts outlets, such as Autozone.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
do you need any more info?? Hello???

Like I said, more info is always better. The engine and transmission management systems will have trouble codes set that would help direct us toward the actual trouble source... or sources. If you could get that info it would surely help.

Hello?

Hello?

I guess we're at an impasse. I'll opt out for other experts to join in and hope you success.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am taking in my car to run diagnostics on the codes tomorrow
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Do you still need help with this here?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.