roy
roy, import/domestic specialest
Experience:  ASE master tech for 40 years
3506196

My name is ***** *****. I have a 2005 Dodge Neon 2.0L SXT. I

Customer Question

Customer: My name is ***** *****. I have a 2005 Dodge Neon 2.0L SXT. I have a vibration problem. More so when in gear. I replaced all motor mounts and the problem seems to have gotten worst.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Its not too bad in park or neutral but in drive or reverse its worse. While driving, there a vibration felt throughout the cabin. it's not tires or suspension. its the engine.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Dodge Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
When driving, engine vibration is felt throughout the cabin. It's not brakes or suspension.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
is there any chrysler documentation TSB or otherwise relating to this subject. It appears to be a common problem.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
95000 miles on the engine
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
also - the timing belt, accessory belts, water pump and tensioner pulleys were replaced as well.
Expert:  roy replied 11 months ago.

good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assist

did you replace the motor mount at the front of the motor that bolts to the strut tower?? I know there are upper and lower strut mounts but this mount is a common failure for this exact issue.

Roy

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The front engine mount, transmission mount, upper and lower torque struts were replaced.
Expert:  roy replied 11 months ago.

ok, thanks. does the motor sit level in the engine compartment or does it dip to the front??

Roy

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It looks level. I made the adjustment to the top torque strut (119 mm measurement)
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Isn't there a Chrysler service bulletin addressing this?
Expert:  roy replied 11 months ago.

good, not many people know about that measurement.

let me check

Roy

Expert:  roy replied 11 months ago.

found nothing in recalls or TSB. did you check the exhaust to be sure it is not hitting the body anywhere??

Roy

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The dealership said all this vibration is common for this vehicle. I don't buy that. That's
a cop out and lazy way of stating they can't figure it out. There is a way to fix this problem
and I figured a Chrysler dealer should be experts at fixing their own equipment.
Expert:  roy replied 11 months ago.

I agree. no way there should be a distinct vibration. if all the mounts are good and exhaust good, that leads us to the motor itself.

Roy

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Why would the exhaust all of a sudden start hitting the body. I don't hear metal on metal and it wasn't doing this before I changed the mounts.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The motor runs smooth at idle. It didn't have this problem (at least this bad) before I changed the mounts.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It just runs rough when in drive or reverse. And when driving vibration is throughout the cabin
Expert:  roy replied 11 months ago.

ok, so you did not have this vibration before changing the mounts???

since you changed the mounts, you changed the position of the motor. that will change the position of the exhaust as well.

Roy

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Let's assume that somehow the exhaust is hitting the body, how would this get fixed? With new mounts in place,
why would the exhaust system be placed in a position to hit the body.
Expert:  roy replied 11 months ago.

you can loosen the front pipe to manifold and re position and tighten.

age and wear.

Roy

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I did have some vibration before changing the mounts. The bottom Torque strut was bad as identified
by the dealership (it had a tear in it. The vibration got worse though after changing all mounts and torque struts.
Expert:  roy replied 11 months ago.

who did the work??

Roy

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I replaced all the mounts, struts, belts myself.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It's my daughter's car so I don't drive it regularly. When I drove it prior to replacing those
parts, I was shocked at the vibration and noise throughout the car. She got used to it
overtime. When the dealership said the lower torque strut was needed during a routine
inspection during an oil change, I decided to replace all mounts and belts considering
the car had 95000 miles on it. With an interference engine, I figured it was a good time to
take care of all of it.
Expert:  roy replied 11 months ago.

ok, I would still look at the exhaust

Roy

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
In the service manual, it talks about the front engine mount alignment. If the dealership comes up with
nothing, I will refer them to their factory service manual. I can't guarantee the engine is aligned properly.
Expert:  roy replied 11 months ago.

ok, let me know what they come up with

please dont forget to rate me as it is the only way I get paid for my efforts

Roy

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'll let you know.
Expert:  roy replied 11 months ago.

ok

Expert:  roy replied 11 months ago.

Roy