Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Dodge Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic
2617050

I have a 96 Dakota and yesterday my air bag light wont turn

Customer Question

Customer: I have a 96 Dakota and yesterday my air bag light wont turn off.It usually will light up at start up but then will turn off. What may be some causes of this?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Other than i rebuilt the motor at 110,000 miles and it has 40,000 on the rebuild thats all the details i have.It has no other issues .
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Dodge Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes that is fine.Thanks for your help.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 1 year ago.

It has what is called a clockspring behind the steering wheel that is the most common reason the light stays on.

You would need a special scanner to be able to read air bag fault codes to be able to confirm this though.

The air bag system is disabled when the light stays on though to prevent it from activating when it shouldnt!

If you dont want to take it in to a shop to have the trouble codes retrieved then you can try and just replace the clockspring but you wont know for sure if its what is causing the light to stay on without the trouble codes. If you want instructions on replacing it let me know.