Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

I have a 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.8 with power doors and

Customer Question

Customer: I have a 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.8 with power doors and liftgate. The power door on the drivers side has not worked for a few years regularly. Odd thing is that when it is warm outside and the sun shines on the door, it will open with the remote, otherwise it NEVER opens with the remote. Apparently, temperature is an issue. I'm in Colorado so I wil have to wait awhile before the remote will work again. I changed the wiring harness unit that fits inside the plastic tracks at the bottom of the door a few months ago with a new one so it isn't that the wires have broken/shorted out. Want to get the damn thing to work as I use the rear door a ton and am tired of opening it by hand.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I can't think of anything else to add.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Dodge Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Now, when I push the remote the door moves about 1/2 an inch and stops. must fully open or close the door once the remote has been activated. Also the door doesn't always pull the door shut once it engages such as well I pull the door shut manually it will sometimes catch the door and begin to pull it in but will release it before it completes the close causing me to slam the door to close manually.
Expert:  Jerry replied 11 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** you for using the site, I will be happy to assist you today.

.

Let me start by saying that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating.

.

There have been a few factory service bulletins, (not recalls) for that type of concern. It involves a software update for the vehicle’s computer and has to be done by a dealer, I hate to have to say. That is where you would have to start with any diagnosis of the power sliding doors and/or liftgate.

.

.

Here is a link to what it states. You can copy and paste it into a new browser and rate the answer on this page.

.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qfsjl4r1bcqnfvx/PSD%20tailgate%20bulletins.pdf?dl=0

.

Please don’t forget to rate the answer in a positive way, . EVEN IF YOU HAVE A SUBSCRIPTION ****THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID ****

.

Thanks

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I understand that it is difficult to be able to diagnose a problem like this but do you feel that this is the only solution? I would have hoped for a little more insight from you into my situation than a referral to a dealer who saw my van a few months ago, diagnosed it as needing parts but never mentioned the idea of reprogramming the modules. I was hoping you would have provided some insight into the problems(its all over the internet on this) and narrow down the possibilities since I had replaced the harness- how much more could be wrong in terms of parts involved?
Expert:  Jerry replied 11 months ago.

That's just it, they, (the factory) normally advise not to 'change' any parts until any and all bulletins have been addressed and with an electronic module you can replace as many parts as the parts dept. sells and never get the problem sorted out. Thanks