Mrchippeway
Mrchippeway, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Dodge tech
66273772

I have a 2002 Town and Country. The rear lift gate does not

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Town and Country. The rear lift gate does not unlock when the driver side door unlock is pressed or from the fob. The rear lift gate does not operate either or make a sound as if it attempting to work. The only way to open the lift gate is with the key. The fuse for the lift gate tested good for continuity. I suspect that I am not getting power to the latch but have not opened up the lift gate trim.
What do you suggest?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Mrchippeway replied 11 months ago.

I would suggest changing the latch! I have changed a lot of latches and not once had a problem with the actual wiring t the latch. That's what I would do.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I opened up the interior panel of the tailgate and found that it is getting power. It has the seven pin blue connector with cinch. Door lock sounds like it unlatches but does not pop the gate. After several beeps it sounds like it relocks.
Cleaned pressure release above license and that seems to signal the actuator but actuator too weak to open door.

So the lock mechanism works but the release doesn't! I still believe that the issue is with the latch if it has power and can hear it unlocking then the cinch/latching mechanism is not working correctly. Give a new latch a try there not to hard to change. Best luck have a happy new year.