Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

2010 Dodge Ram 1500 headlights won't come on. Both sides

Customer Question

2010 Dodge Ram 1500 headlights won't come on. Both sides neither high or low beam. Computer system doesn't indicate bulb out on dash
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Bulbs have been replaced also
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question. Can I start by getting your VIN? Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Amedee. VIN is 1d7rv1gt0as113487
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for the VIN. One minute while I pull up your vehicle.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

The most likley cause of this condition would be a bad TIPM located under the hood provided the headlight switch is working correctly. You might want to try and disconnect the battery cables from the battery and hold them together for a few minutes and then reconnect them back up to the battery and see if that does the trick before replacing the TIPM. It may just do the trick. If not, I would suspect a bad TIPM. Here is a wiring diagram.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm confused. I have power going to the headlight it just won't come on. And this would intail changing out my entire fuse box to push the current simply into the bulb itself?
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Which wire has power going to the headlights?

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

If you have power going to them and the bulbs were replaced but the headlights are still not coming on, then the headlight assemblies themselves must be bad

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Have you checked for a good ground going to the headlights as well?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There's a white w/ blue strip that has power and a white w/Green also with power with lights in on position. My tester won't test the ground for some reason
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

The white with blue stripe is the power wire for the low beam.

The white with green stripe is the power wire for the high beam.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

The other wire going to that side is the ground. That would be the only possible cause left. Chances are the TIPM is not providing a ground to that circuit..

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Or the socket itself is simply bad..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would that coinside with the passenger side acting the same way?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sounds like a bad ground regardless tho
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

It would make sense that the TIPM is not sending a ground to both sides at the same time.. unless of course both sockets when bad at the same time..

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

I would try grounding that wire and see if the lights come on.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I was just looking for clarity on the tipm not working. I'll have to try grounding that in the am to confirm. Thanks Amedee
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Your welcome! I am glad I can help! Please dont forget to rate. Have a great night!!

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello! It's Amedee from just answer.

I am just checking in to see how things are going and to see if you need any further assistance?

Please let me know and I will be happy to help!

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

.