Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

We have a 2004 stratus 2.7l that had a time chain fail and

Customer Question

Customer: we have a 2004 stratus 2.7l that had a time chain fail and bent all 12 intake valves. after replacing, car ran fine but did have a "sound". after three days it suddenly stopped and we discovered the tensioner had failed...just as the previous cause. We put new parts in again, but now it won't start. We are just starting to diagnose the problem. We have gas and compression. The spark only sparkes for a few turns then stops. We found an online to check the cam and crank sensors...hope this works. I was curious if, since we didn't disconnect the batterey for the second change, if the computer may require this to reset...this is our first step in a couple minutes...I'm just looking for more answers when your window popped up
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: more? it cranks just fine and has gas and compression. As far as I know, the only items in the elecctricl are the coil, sensors, and pcm...
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Dodge Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: for about 18...sure...
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question. If at any time you would like to speak on the phone, please request a phone call on your end and I will call you.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

The cam and crank signals MUST be in sync with eachother in order for the computer to fire spark at the right time when cranking. I have a feeling it is going to be something related to the cam/crank sensors and signals.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Do you need a diagram of the timing marks?

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello??

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a poor signal in garage. It trys to fire but doesn't start right up.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We had already changed out chain and marks are fine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We are looking at how to test crank and cam sensors
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

You need a lab scope to check the cam and crank sensors.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

You need to tap into signal wire of each sensor and crank it over while watching the voltage to make sure it is changing as the engine is rotating over.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It acts like it wants to start. No back fires. We're going to put new plugs in first. I may try to call you after that.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

ok

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Replaced the crank and cam sensors and plugs. Still no change. Giving up for tonight. Will try to revisit on Saturday
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Ok, sounds good.