Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Name is ***** *****. 1994 Dakota. Truck will die

Customer Question

Customer: Name is ***** *****. 1994 Dakota. Truck will die intermittently. Looked at many things and the following I cannot figure out. I have power on the ASD relay, pin 51 from the PCM. When I pull the fuel pump relay PCM wire 51 connects to ground. I can verify this with an ohm meter that it is grounded. My guess is that the PCM is bad.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: What do you need? I have gone thru all the sensors, checked continuity, and all that made sense to me.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Dodge Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: got lots of time.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question. Would you be willing to speak on the phone? Can I start by getting your VIN? Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1B7GG23X0RW116940
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
phone is(###) ###-####
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Please accept my offer and call me now

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Dale, When the engine stalls, does it start right back up or does it take some time to start and run again. If it just cranks over and does not fire up, do you know if it is missing spark or fuel?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is where is is weird. It does not start up. If I go and unplug the two wire connector at the coil and plug it back in it starts.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for that information. So does the ignition coil get power while cranking when it does not start?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When it did not start I ohmed the wire from the ASD relay and it has continuity. I checked the ASD relay coil and it has power where it should. Strange thing is that when I pull the fuel pump relay , the pin 51 wire to the PCU changes from power to ground.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Can you tell me what color wire changes at the fuel pump relay?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not at the truck right now, but the schematic says dark blue/yellow
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

That is the control side for the ASD relay and fuel pump relay.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is the wire from the PCU to the ASD. I know, it does not make sense.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

IT will change from power to ground and ground to power as the PCM is trying to activate it. This is normal

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, I learned something. When I first started on the truck, the coil was bad. Replaced it and it started right up. Stopped again and I replaced the stator pickup and it started. Now it runs for hours or a few minutes. Kinda like the old days when the control module would get hot and a transistor would open and then close when it cooled down. I am guess a module.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

I understand. You need to see if your missing spark or fuel when this happens.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Checked the fuel pump and it has the correct pressure when cranking. I did not check the volume.That only leaves spark.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Ok, so have we checked the inputs to the ignition coil? If so, how and what were the results?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I check to see if there was voltage there and there was. Did not check for anything else.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Ok, well the ignition coil gets pulsed to ground by the computer. It cannot produce spark unless it has this ground signal trigger.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I check that?
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

You can use a test light or a lab scope. I assume you dont have a lab scope so a test light would be best. Hook up the test light aligator clip to the battery positive and touch the tip of the test light to the trigger side of the coil and it should flicker as the engine is being cranked over. Keep in mind it will be a very dim flicker so do this in a dark garage so it is easy to see

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

You could have a faulty new ignition coil or a bad engine speed sensor (crank sensor or cam sensor inside the distributor) or the ECM may not even be awake so be sure to check that as well.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. thanks, ***** ***** the bay area today?
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Nice and humid. :)

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

I am glad I can help!

It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "Excellent Service" for assisting you today.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Merry Christmas!!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Better than the 12 degrees and ice I am in. Thanks for the suggestions. Same to you
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Your welcome

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Please dont forget to rate. You should see the rating system towards the bottom of the page.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Please keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation even after you rate my answer. I will be here if you have any further questions.