Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

I recently had new injectors installed in my 2006 dodge ram

Customer Question

Good evening I recently had new injectors installed in my 2006 dodge ram with the 24 valve cummins 5.9 L diesel. My fuel milage has dropped alot 7-10 mpg. any ideas as to why
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If these were factory replacements and were installed correctly there is a chance that one or more are letting to much fuel into the cylinders causing this issue here.I would have the facility that installed them test them to see if one or more are at fault needing replaced.If one or more do need replaced this should be covered at no cost to you under warranty.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
hello thanks for the answer. They are Bosch injectors , stock hp rating no mods no tuner. I have noticed that my EGT's are up about 150 degrees from where I am used to seeing them and my boost is running 3-5 psi higher than I am used to.
I have checked and the oil level isnt climbing so I am not leaking into the crankcase. The truck has real good power and no smoke.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The shop that did the work has a good reputation and injector replacement is what they do so I dont think they installed anything wrong.
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

I apologize for the delay.

I know on some models the injectors have to be calibrated when they are installed.If they did not check for any calibrations this may be causing this here.With the exhaust gas temp up this can usually indicate the engine is running much leaner and you may have an issue with an air leak into the engine past a leaking gasket or faulty reading mass air flow sensor needing replaced.

I would have the injectors double checked to make sure none of them are leaning out the engine to much as well as any vacuum leaks checked for and the mass air flow sensor checked and cleaned.

Thanks Pete