Dodgerench
Dodgerench, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30+ years Dodge/Chrysler exp., ASE Master with L1 certification. Driveability/ combustion specialist
4486286

Coolant Temp Sensor Switch located on a 1997 dodge ram 1500

Customer Question

Customer: "Coolant Temp Sensor Switch located on a 1997 dodge ram 1500 360 4X4 ?" I have same exact car. Temp sensor switch has a wire but no place to plug it by thermostat housing. I have only one sensor with 2 wires for the engine control. don't know where else could the on for my gauge be?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have 1997 dodge ram 1500 5.9 4x4 and I have the 1 wire for temp gauge hanging but no place for it. by thermostat housing is ONLY place for 1 sensor with 2 wires plugged in. So no temp gauge in car dash working.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Dodge Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 11 months ago.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer!. This is Ed.

The single-terminal temp sensor is in the same general area, but to the passenger side direction on the same coolant passage of the intake manifold. It'll be tucked in behind and below the alternator, making it a bit difficult to locate... if it's there.

The only reason I can imagine why the sensor could be missing would be an engine swap, with the new engine (or manifold) using a 1998 or newer design, which no longer had a need for a separate gauge-type sending unit. If the gauge worked for you previously and nothing of that sort has changed under the hood, you may need to remove the alternator for a better view. It should be there, mounted in the same pointing-up manner as the 2-wire sensor and is similar in size and appearance.

Ed

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
1998 and up have just one sensor that controls the 'temp gauge' and 'engine control'? Asking to see if I may have a swapped engine.

Yep. In 98 we went to the CCD bus network that allowed the PCM's coolant temp sensor value to be broadcast to the instrument cluster, so a second sensor wasn't needed.

What did you find?