camerontech
camerontech, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  diagnostic auto tech
89602740

I have 1999 dodge dekota and I cannt get the latch in how do

Customer Question

chris I have 1999 dodge dekota and I cannt get the latch in how do I do it.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  bill replied 11 months ago.

what latch are you referring to

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
glove box inside the cab
Expert:  bill replied 11 months ago.

ok I do not have info on that latch I will opt out and another expert will be along very shortly

DO NOT reply or you will be locked to me

Expert:  camerontech replied 11 months ago.

hi there,

im cam, a licenced diagnostice tech.

here is the only info that is available for the latch assembly from the dealer manuals. I have attached a diagram with this too.

I did notice that in the instructions, it states that the bin is the only servicable part and if any other component fails, than the entire glove box will require replacing.

GLOVE BOX COMPONENTS

The only serviced component of the glove box is the glove box bin. If any other component of the glove box is faulty or damaged, the entire glove box assembly must be replaced.

WARNING: ON VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH AIRBAGS, Refer to PASSIVE RESTRAINT SYSTEMS BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANY STEERING WHEEL, STEERING COLUMN, OR INSTRUMENT PANEL COMPONENT DIAGNOSIS OR SERVICE. FAILURE TO TAKE THE PROPER PRECAUTIONS COULD RESULT IN ACCIDENTAL AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT AND POSSIBLE PERSONAL INJURY.

REMOVAL

GLOVE BOX BIN

1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
  2. Remove the glove box from the instrument panel.
  3. Remove the two screws that secure each outboard flange of the glove box bin to the glove box door Glove Box Components Remove/Install
  4. Remove the two remaining screws in the bottom of the glove box bin (the center screw was removed during glove box removal) that secure the bin to the bottom of the glove box door.
  5. Remove the four screws that secure the top of the glove box bin and the glove box latch to the glove box door.
  6. Remove the glove box bin and the glove box latch from the glove box door.

INSTALLATION

GLOVE BOX BIN

1. Position the glove box latch and the glove box bin to the glove box door.
  2. Install and tighten the four screws that secure the top of the glove box bin and the glove box latch to the glove box door. Tighten the screws to 2.2 N·m (20 in. lbs.)
  3. Install and tighten the two outboard screws in the bottom of the glove box bin (the center screw will be installed following glove box installation) that secure the bin to the bottom of the glove box door. Tighten the screws to 2.2 N·m (20 in. lbs.)
  4. Install and tighten the two screws that secure each outboard flange of the glove box bin to the glove box door. Tighten the screws to 2.2 N·m (20 in. lbs.)
  5. Install the glove box onto the instrument panel. Refer to Glove Box - Installation in the Removal and Installation section of this group for the procedures.
  6. Reconnect the battery negative cable.

please let me know if this is satisfactory

thanks

cam

c