Dodgerench
Dodgerench, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30+ years Dodge/Chrysler exp., ASE Master with L1 certification. Driveability/ combustion specialist
4486286

I own a 2001 dodge ram 1500. My signal light freezes after

Customer Question

hi; I own a 2001 dodge ram 1500. My signal light freezes after I've travelled awhile. Then when the truck cools off the signals flash properly again.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer!. This is Ed.

It sounds like your turn signal flasher unit is getting weak. We actually call this the combination (or combo) flasher because it shares duties with turn signals and 4-way hazards and operates electronically to compensate for the different lamp loads associated with towing and such. Since it's an electronic unit, they seem to become sensitive to heat over time and (just like you saw) it may become cranky when used for a while. Tapping or twisting the combo flasher while still mounted may bring back some signs of life for diagnostic purposes, but if effective it still means you'll be shopping for a new one.

The flasher is located in the left-of-dash fuse panel. Look for a colored "cube" type relay, colored either green or blue if it's a factory unit. but aftermarket relays may be black. It just pulls out and pushes in for installation. Expect it to cost a bit more than a typical flasher unit, running between $20 and $50 depending where you shop. Here's a link to NAPA Online: http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx/Flasher-Turn-Signal/_/R-NF_EP27_0325306663

Be sure to write back if you have any questions or problems. I'll be glad to help.

Ed

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi; Ed I used your advice and switched the fuse cube. Thus far I haven't noticed any problems, although I haven't travelled far yet. That is when the problems occurred. Thank you
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.

Well, no news is good news at this point. You're very welcome and please remember to rate our experience once you've reached a conclusion. JA has your deposit in escrow but a positive rating is the only way I receive compensation.

Thanks!

Ed

Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.

All good so far? If so, I'd most appreciate a favorable rating on JustAnswer, as this is the only way I am compensated. No additional charge will be sent; this comes from the deposit you originally made.

Thanks,

Ed