Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

My name is ***** *****. My son drives my old 2004 Ram 1500

Customer Question

Customer: My name is ***** *****. My son drives my old 2004 Ram 1500 4.7. Last night he stopped at a store for a few minutes, then came back out and it would start then die. It did that several times. He left it for a while, then came back and it started as usual. He drove home, turned it off, tried to restart it, and it wouldn't start again. He left it alone for an hour or two, tried it again and it started. Today it won't start at all. A couple of weeks ago he had the codes checked and he had a PO128. I'm wondering if the Coolant Temperature Sensor could be the problem.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Battery is new. Starter is working. Cranks but no ignition.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Dodge Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: OK.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Amedee replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question. YES, the engine coolant temp sensor can in fact cause this hard/no start condition. Have you checked for spark and fuel when cranking it over?