Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

2000 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2 L. TURN THE KEY ON EVERYTHING COMES

Customer Question

Customer: 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2 L . TURN THE KEY ON EVERYTHING COMES ON ALL SEEMS FINE TILL I GO TO START IT, I TURN THE KEY TO START - NOTHING . I DID GET THE ENGINE TO START BY PUTTING A START JUMPER START BUTTON SWITCH FROM THE BATTERY TO THE SOL. ON THE STARER START RIGHT UP RUN'S GREAT . BUT WOULD LIKE TO FIX IT THE RIGHT WAY .....***** ***** /***@******.***
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I HAVE CHECK EVERYTHING I CAN THINK OF , EVERYTHING LOOKS GOOD . WHEN I FIRST STARTED IT WHEN IT WAS COLD I DID HEAR THE STARTER MAKE A FEW CLICKS THEN NOTHING , I PULLED THE STARTED IT GOOD. LIKE I SAID I CAN START THE ENGINE WITH A JUMPER RUNS AND DRIVES GREAT , I FEEL THE PROBLEM LAY IN THE STEERING COLUMN , WHAT DO YOU THINK . I WILL ALSO CHANGE THE STARTER RELAY EVEN KNOWING TO NOT BAD . I ALSO TRIED JUMPING THE SWITCH AT THE TRANS . GOT NOTHING , BUT WILL CHANGE THE SWITCH ANYWAY . I KNOW IT'S SOMETHING SIMPLE IT JUST FINDING THE PROBLEM IT IS THE HARD PART . MAY HAVE TO REPLACE THE STEERING SINCE THEY SAY IT CAN'T BE REPAIRED . BUT FOR NOW I'LL DO SOME MORE TROUBLE SHOOTING ...***** *****
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Dodge Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: I DON'T MIND THE $18.00 , IF YOUR SO CALL EXPERT CAN GIVE ME A CORRECT ANSWER TO MY PROBLEM , AND IT SOLVED MY PROBLEM THAT WOULD BE GREAT. I DO SEE I ONLY PAY IF SATISFIED , WITCH I WOULD GLADLY PAY TO GET THIS PROBLEM SOLVED AND OVER WITH . I HOPE YOU TAKE PAY PAL .......................***** ***** ... PS - I AM A RETIRED 40 YEAR EQUIPMENT MECHANIC , NEVER CONSIDERED MYSELF A EXPERT ......***** *****
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 11 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I'm an independent contractor here at Just Answer.

Below is a link to the starting circuit.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/starting.png

Lets begin at the starter relay. With it removed, when trying to start there should be 2 pins with battery voltage. if you get that then I need to know if you have an auto or manual transmission to continue.

Thanks for asking your question and letting me try to help you.

You should see a rating screen if I have posted an answer, not for an info request.

Your rating is my feedback. If I don't get feedback from customers, I will not be able to continue helping customers here.

Rating me good, bad, or not rating at all does not effect the fee you have paid nor does it close the post.

Follow up/Reply as many times as needed.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Will get back to you tomorrow on the relay / Ron

Thanks

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
DID YOU GET MY MESSAGE ? - I REMOVED THE STARTED RELAY HAD MY FRIEND TURN THE IGN. SWITCH TO THE START POSITION GOT POWER TO ONLY ONE PIN ONLY .
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
CHRIS MOOSE / I FORGOT TO TELL YOU THE TRUCK HAS A AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION . HOPE TO HEAR FROM YOU ASAP
THANK YOU RON

Sorry for the delay, wife wanted Buffalo Wild Wings, which I did not know being I was hunting, which put me online far later than normal nor than I like.

Odds are pin 30 was the one powered, that is powered all the time by fuse D under the hood. That leaves pin 86 not powering up from the ignition switch yellow wire. Can you check this wire and see if its powered when trying to start?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Your right Pin 30 is the one with power all the time . Fuse's aren't lettered so I assume you mean the 30 amp ignition run fuse ??
It's has power all the time ignition switch off or on .There is another Fuse under the hood pertaining to the ignition it's a 50 AMP- ignition run / acc . Do you feel the Ignition Switch might be the problem and should be replaced . If that's the case I'm going to have to farm it out , I'm not in the situation to do that have health issue's . Ron***@******.***

Its a 20 amp fuse that powers pin 30 to the relay. So now you need to check the power out from the ignition switch. Based on your test, pin 86 is not powering up from a bad ignition switch or a broken wire.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I just checked it out again , your right , the engine control fuse is a 20 Amp , it's hot with or without the key on . So as you said # ***** on the relay is not being powered up because of a bad ignition switch or a broken wire . If you don't mind me asking what goes wrong with a ignition switch ? Since I can get the engine to start using a start jumper button and drive it I assume it wouldn't be the P.N. Switch on the transmission correct . I wouldn't know where to start looking for a broken wire . Replacing the ignition switch seem's to be the next step to my Still Unsolved Problem .......................Ron

The switch has tabs inside it and a metal plate that slides across them and makes contact per the key position. Sometimes the pins arc against the plate causing corrosion and no more continuity. When you jump the starter your bypassing the ignition switch (start position at the least) and the P/N switch. Testing this wire at the switch is the next step. If it has power when trying to start then the switch is not to blame.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The P/N Switch has power to one pin , it has three I tried to jump it to see if engine would start it didn't .

The P/N switch grounds pin 85 to the relay, we have not tested it yet because we had to stop at the ignition switch signal not being right.

You can see all of this in the prior wire diagram I sent.

Sorry you were not pleased with my help.