Master Tech 1
Master Tech 1, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30 years of all phases of auotmotive diagnostics and repairing
24034660

I am unable to get the Camshaft and Crankshaft riming marks

Customer Question

I am unable to get the Camshaft and Crankshaft riming marks to line up on my 2005 dodge neon. I have rotated the Crankshaft several times clockwise and the closest I can get it is about a 1/2 tooth off. When check the Camshaft it is at the 7 O'Clock position
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Master Tech 1 replied 1 year ago.

Ok are you setting the crankshaft gear so that the mark on gear is lined up with mark on housing behind it? And the the cam gear needs to have the mark on it pointing upwards lining up with the mark on the cover behind it, install belt with belt tight on the front sides of the gears (towards radiator) Thanks, ***** ***** me know if I can be of any other assistance to you with this issue!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am using both marks on the housing to line up the Crank and Cam shaft. I thought I needed to make sure both of those were lined up before I remove the damaged timing belt?

You can turn crankshaft with a wrench on the crank bolt (with lower pulley removed) about 1/4 turn then turn cam the same untill marks are lined-up, Set cam gear 1/2 tooth to the right of the mark (when facing the gear) then as you apply tensioner to the belt it will pull upper gear to mark, This is the correct way to set the belt and marks, (all should be fine as long as there was no interference with a jumped or incorrectly set belt before) Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have already removed the Harmonic Balancer and have been turning the CrankShaft, but when I get it Top Dead Center, the CamShaft is no where close. So to line up the Cam...I can actually put a wrench on the Cam and turn it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I wanted to make sure I can put a wrench on the Camshaft and turn it to line up the timing marks after I have the Crankshaft lined up. I do not want to mess anything up.

Yes, turn it slowly untill it is lined-up with top mark

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Alright I got the timing marks lined up, put on the new timing belt, put everything back together. Now my engine will start and I can hear the belts turning but it will not crank. I read, "FUSE" on the dashboard and the Engine light flashes a couple of times. I went ahead and got a new battery but the connectors look kind of rough. I found that one of the 20 amp fuses had blown so I replaced that...same result. Once again, the engine is starting but won't crank

Ok if you are getting the words fuse, then you need to check all fuses in the fuse/relay box under hood, as well as the fuse panel inside vehicle, you are not getting power thru one of the fuses that power up the system relays. Take a good look at the large fuses in the under hood box!