Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certs
7276279

I am ***** *****. My Dodge Caliber '07 has three issues. I

Customer Question

Customer: Hi, I am ***** *****. My Dodge Caliber '07 has three issues. I got a "fuel cap open" message. I first verified proper closure and message still there. I replaced with a known-good one and message still there. Any idea where to look? Second problem, the alarm light turns on time in time while driving the car. I had the car be scanned and it showed an error with the key, but I am using the same key for years and it was until recently that problem started to show. Third problem is that when I open the door from the outside the chime starts sounding repeatedly as if I had left the key inserted or lights on, funny thing is that chime is not sounding when I get out of the car and close it from the outside but when I go back to it and open to board it. I checked the dome, front and tail lights and all are off. Any ideas? Thanks
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: What of the 3 issues? I have open fuel cap issue, alarm light issue and open door chime issue
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Dodge Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

When the fuel cap light comes on the computer will detect a problem and when this happens the computer system should pick up and set a fault code and or codes. In order to be able to determine what is causing the light to come on you are going to need to start with having the system scanned and the fault code and or codes retrieved. If you can get this done and post back with the results we can work from there. The light can be cleared by disconnecting the negative battery cable as well. If it returns then you do have a problem and the scan will need to be done.