Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

Im having a few issues with a 04 Durango slt, wile driving

Customer Question

Hi good day im having a few issues with a 04 Durango slt , wile driving it just shuts down with out warning and some times when u start up and put it in gear the engine wont build any power the car wont move not even when you'r floorboard . Can u help me in any way with these issues?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

If the engine is not revving up at all when this fault occurs when you restart it but it is idling this can be due to low fuel pressure.This can be common with a restricted fuel filter or weak fuel pump needing replaced as I have run into several times before on this model and other models.If you have not had the fuel pressure tested when this fault occurs this should be done to see if this is the cause here.If you need info on how this is done let me know and I can see if I can post it here.

If this is not what is occuring and the engine is revving up in park and neutral but will not move in gear let me know.The fuel pump can cost around $159 and 1.7 hours labor to have replaced.In some cases you can get a cheaper after market pump from a local parts store.The fuel tank needs removed to access and replace the pump as the pump is seated inside of the fuel tank accessed from the top of the fuel tank.https://www.dropbox.com/s/wp2veo4kcuod9hr/fp-12-17.gif?dl=0.

The fuel pump is common to act up intermittently like this here to where it may operate properly at some points and be o.k. to drive then all of a sudden act up like this here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete