-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

The engine light had been on indicating to change oil. I

Customer Question

The engine light had been on indicating to change oil. I haven't been driving this van much, as I'm usually driving my truck. So, I don't think it ever over heated. And today, I just drove it a few blocks and back home, when I noticed there was a burning smell coming out from under hood tonight. I checked oil and added 2 quarts to bring it to full. I checked for more smoke. That's when I noticed there was white smoke coming out of exhaust. I didn't hear any knocking. But there was a very dim sound occasionally that sounds more like an electrical switch triggering than an engine knocking. (But I don't really know. It's barely audible when it does occur.)
I have a very long family drive from Upstate NY to Texas to go on in a couple days, so please advise! Thanks.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Good evening and welcome to JustAnswer!!!

I see you said the engine light has been on indicating to change oil, but the check engine light has nothing to do with when you change the oil but rather tell you there are issues with your engine... And since it's on do you know what codes it has? If so can you post them here? If not you will need to try and cycle the key 3 times and see if any P codes appear in the odometer or get a code reader and retrieve them..

Once I know what codes it has then I can determine what's going on with your engine.. Also you said there was white smoke coming from the exhaust but does the smoke go away or stay in the air? If it goes away it's normal if it's cold and damp in your area.. But if your coolant is low then I would suspect a bad head gasket..

Talk soon,

Brad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There is no check engine light. The check engine light is not on. I don't know what's up with that! You'd think it be on.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Oh, and the coolant is not low.

Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Does the smoke go away in the air? Also how far have you driven it to see if it still smokes and does it run ok?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yeah, I think it goes away, but it was steadily putting out more smoke, continually. (not really sure what you mean by go away).

I just drove the few blocks. And ran it in idle, after adding 2 quarts of oil. Then I noticed the White Smoke. And was afraid to drive any more. I've read online in Google searches that White smoke could be very bad, and to not drive, but to take to qualified shop. I'm afraid to take to any shop, as they may take me for a ride, if you catch my drift.

Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

By go away I mean disappear in the air or does it stay in the air and float off.. If your coolant is full then it's likely just condensation and ok... If the smoke is gone after it warms up then your ok, but if it keeps smoking when warm and starts to misfire or run hot I would stop as your head gasket is blown..

Let me know,

Brad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I think it was staying in the air and floating off. This look low to you? I'm not sure.

Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

The coolant looks fine... So you should be ok..

Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

I hope this helps,

Brad