sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

My name is ***** *****, I have a 2008 Dodge Avenger 2.4

Customer Question

Customer: My name is ***** *****, I have a 2008 Dodge Avenger 2.4 engine that want start. battery is new, lights work,I checked the fuses they are good.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: t cut off while I was driving, first the radio then the car shut off, wouldn't take a jump start,
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Dodge Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes, the fuses all have been checked, it's not the alternator, or battery
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

You may have quite a few things going on. I would first suspect the powertrain control module is down but that wouldn't affect the radio. It's possible that the radio is unrelated or a power feed issue is affecting both the radio and PCM.

Do you hear the fuel pump run when the key is first turned on?
Have you checked for communication with the PCM using a scan tool?
Are there any other items that aren't working? The power locks and interior lights are on the same circuit as the radio's power feed.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It is after 3:00 Am where I am, apologies. Not sure if it's not my alternator. No crank no start, at key entry all dash board light, power to windows, headlights, turn signals, door chime comes on, all work. There is no clicking upon turning the key, at first turn there is a one time minor low one time click. When I popped the after car cut off and I let it roll out of high way, It smelled like maybe burn wire or something electrical but I saw no smoke. after that No crank no start. Wouldn't take a jump start. I do remember that some mornings if outside temperature was 40's, 50's prior to it shutting down while I was driving it wouldn't start right away, I had to take the key out wait a few seconds try again and then it started, I do not pump the gas peddle when I start or attempt to start car, when it started it started right away with a turn of the key . I do not hear he fuel pump when I try to start it.

Do you have a scan tool to see if the PCM is communicating?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No I do not, when car shut off I did not get any icon lights. Before this happened in the mornings if it was cold I turn the key I got some clicking but after a few seconds and try again it started right up. now I get no sound, but radio, inside, outside lights work, horn blows, windows work.

Are you familiar with the clicking from the throttle body at key on as it does it's self test? does this still happen?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am familiar with the clicking from the throttle body at key on, no it it does not it did that happened some days prior to the shut down while I was driving. Now since the shut down while driving, No crank no start no a sound at key turn; all dash board light, power to windows, headlights, turn signals, door chime comes on, all work.

You can be pretty certain the PCM is down then. It could be an internal failure or a loss of power or ground to it, either are about as likely. What will need to be done is load test the PCM powers and grounds. If one is missing then that circuit will need to be investigated deeper, if the powers and grounds are present then the PCM can be condemned.