Master Tech 1
Master Tech 1, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30 years of all phases of auotmotive diagnostics and repairing
24034660

I changed my coolant temperature sensor on my 2000 Dodge ram

Customer Question

I changed my coolant temperature sensor on my 2000 Dodge ram 1500 SLT 5.2 liter motor before I put a good thermostat in it. I failed to unhook the battery when doing so. When I unhooked the wire harness from the sensor, It made a good spark when the harness
grounded out on the alternator. I think that I blew a fuse of some sort. My Dodge will start and drive, but my water temperature gauge goes all the way to hot and I get a message on the dash to check gauges. Can you please direct me to what fuse or relay that
I need to change? Thanks for your time. Sincerely, William
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Master Tech 1 replied 12 months ago.

What has happened is when the wire shorted out on the altenator, it shorted out the wire from the coolant sensor to Computer or it shorted out the coolant gauge, or possible computer damage, What needs to be done is a scanner needs to be connected to vehicles Diag. connector, and then see if there is a reading from coolant sensor or Pcm, if there is a normal reading, Then it is the gauge, if no reading then it is a shorted out wire or Computer has gotten damaged,Autozone autoparts will scan vehicle for free it there is one by you!Thanks, ***** ***** me know if I can be of any other assistance to you with this issue!

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I scanned it with my code reader. A zero showed up and the 4th symbol on the top line and both bottom symbols are flashing. Is it a burnt relay or fuse?

So the coolant sensor shows 0? Dont know about flashing on your code reader there are so many code reader out there/ I use prof. Data scanners, But your reader shows coolant temp at 0 degrees.?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
mine is a 2100 CarMD
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Which fuse or relay should I check?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I apologize, I may have gotten the wrong sensor. I will try and install the old one tomorrow after removing the one that I installed today.

Sounds good, Letme know what is shows for coolant temp, and cond volts, Thanks