Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

How do you remove the power transfer unit on the awd
,

Customer Question

Customer: ***** *****, How do you remove the power transfer unit on the awd
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I am replacing the rack and pinion and cannot get enough clearance to remove it because of the transaxle going to the rear wheels
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Dodge Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Jerry replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site, I will be happy to assist you today.

.

What year make model engine trans?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport AWD, 3.8l engine, vin 2B4GT44L72R687324.
The two hydraulic lines on the left side of the rack and pinion have rusted thru. I am trying to remove the rack and pinion assembly to replace it, but cannot get the unit to clear the aluminum support housing because the rear driveshaft from the power transfer unit runs right below the rack and pinion and is in the way. I don't know if there is a way to remove the driveshaft without taking out the power transfer unit, so as to allow enough clearance to drop the rack and pinion. I am also trying to remove the two hydraulic lines from the rack and pinion and possibly replace them, but the end nuts are fairly frozen in place and hard to reach. The rack and pinion is ready to be removed if I can only get the proper clearance to do so. Please advise on the best way to do so.As a side note, you stated that the charge for answering the questions is $18 but when I entered the agreement to get to your response, I was charged $28. Why the discrepancy?I await your advice on the best way to remove and replace the rack and pinion assembly on my Caravan AWD.Thank you
Bruce Van Kempema
Expert:  Jerry replied 11 months ago.

I see, thanks. I have nothing to do with any of the financial transactions. In fact we, (the experts) are not allowed to discuss any of that with customers.

.

However, any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating.

.

That is a 5 hour job on the AWD. The PTU does have to come out to replace the steering rack but in order to just get to the lines you may want to just drop the craddle down enough to reach the flare nuts on the line(s).

.

I can get the instructions for that if you need them, thanks

Expert:  Jerry replied 11 months ago.

I can get the instructions for it and put it in a PDF file, (it is rather large) and send it to your email address for as little as possible.

.

You will just have to accept the additional service offer and ENTER your email address in the “ENTER CONTACT INFO” section so that I can see it, Thanks

Expert:  Jerry replied 11 months ago.

Please don’t forget to rate the answer in a positive way, . EVEN IF YOU HAVE A SUBSCRIPTION ****THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID ****