Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Dodge/Cummins and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
12365498

My 1992 dodge ram charger won't pass emissions because of gh

Customer Question

My 1992 dodge ram charger won't pass emissions because of high hydro carbon any suggestions ?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer. Are the CO and NOX readings within limits? And what are the actual HC readings?

Chris

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The co and NOX readings are within limits the HC readings are 2.65 first time and 2.77 second time thru test needs to be 2.50.
Expert:  Chris replied 11 months ago.

Ok, High Hc is caused by misfires or incomplete combustion. A weak catalytic converter can also cause high HC. Perform a tune up (spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor) then run a bottle of Sea Foam injector cleaner through the tank at the next fill up. Hopefully this will help. If not, then suspect the catalytic converter and have it replaced.

I hope that this information is helpful and please let me know if you need further assistance.

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 11 months ago.

Hello, just checking back to see if you received my last reply, and if so do you still need help with your problem? Please remember, the website will not automatically credit me from your deposit or subscription without your Rating! Please, use the Rating System Box and Rate our Q&A session today or. If you need to ask more questions, please feel free to ask!

Thank you!

Chris

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I had ran a can of 44k in a tank of gas then filled with premium for the second test and the # ***** up. I'm going to replace plugs and change oil try again
Expert:  Chris replied 11 months ago.

Ok, keep me posted. If the hc still is too high, then consider replacing the catalytic converter.

Chris