sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

My name is ***** ***** and we just changed the starter... it

Customer Question

Customer: My name is ***** ***** and we just changed the starter... it wouldnt turn over. We came on google and found out it was the security system. After re setting it, it started and now doesnt turn on
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: It started initially after the starter change out and now it wont turn on when I put the key in and go to start the lights are on, you can hear it clikcing the radio plays but it wont turn over anymore
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Dodge Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Im willing to pay if it starts to run
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

What is the year and model of the vehicle?

Did the engine start and die three times and then lock the starter out?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
3 or 4 times.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
2003 dodge caravan

Do you have a second key to try?

Does the S***** *****ght in the instrument cluster flash or is it staying on solid?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The red light stays on solid. And no other key

If the S***** *****ght is staying on solid it's because the SKIM module isn't communicating with the powertrain control module. If the engine started and died then you know the PCM is awake, if there are no other electrical issues then it's pretty safe to assume the communication bus is operable. If no fuses are blown then the SKIM module itself has most likely failed. A scan tool will need to be used to see if the module communicates, if not then it's power, ground and bus voltage will need to be checked before condemning it.