rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

I have a 2010 6.7 Cummins 3500 4x4. I have what sounds like

Customer Question

I have a 2010 6.7 Cummins 3500 4x4. I have what sounds like it could be a bad injector rattle, but I don't have any of the smoking, rough idle, or other issue that are associated with that. The truck makes the noise badly when it is cold, but only north of about 1,400 rpm. Once the truck warms up, it seems to subside some. Once the truck is at speed the rattle goes away. I think that it could be the FCA, fan support bearing, or maybe the upper idler pulley. Can you give me any guidance on any of this?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 12 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in this business since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Please be patient!
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

Audible issues are always tough over the internet, but what I do is use my stethoscope to isolate where this noise is coming from exactly, then go in that direction. You can also do a cylinder balance with a scan tool when it's making this noise, and if it's an injector, the noise will stop on the one you have selected.

Thanks, Ron