Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, 32 years Diag/Electrical Specialist
13677702

Will a 95 dodge Dakota v6 engine fit a 98 Dakota same engine

Customer Question

Will a 95 dodge Dakota v6 engine fit a 98 Dakota same engine without having to replace the wire harness and ecm?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Randall C replied 11 months ago.

Hello, yes, the engines are interchangeable, carry same part numbers etc BUT,, the ONLY way you can do the swap? you have to put both engines side by side and transfer all sensors etc to the 1998,, Each year uses a completely different wiring harness as well as computer, soo if the engine is going into the 1998, then transfer all sensors etc to the 1995 long block, set the engine in and use the same 1998 harness as well as computer, Long block means just heads and short block, I cant remember if intakes are the same but I think? they are but dont hold me to that so best to compare each, you may have to swap over intake as well but to just take a 1995 and put in a 1998 with all sensors etc? this will not work at all