-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

I have a 2000 dodge dakota slt, ive recently put a 5.2 jeep

Customer Question

i have a 2000 dodge dakota slt, ive recently put a 5.2 jeep grand cherokee motor this dakota. i had to wire in a computer from the eep into the dodge .now that was fun.the problem im having is when i crank the motor it will run for a minute than cut off.im thinking it must be the cars security that is doing it. my question is how o i by pass it because i dont have the remote to the truck.and im i by pssing th jeep or the akota please help me
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

At this point you will need a scantool such as the DRBIII I use here at the dealership to see if the PCM says "Ok to start" or "Denied". If it has a gray headed key this can not be bypassed..

I hope this helps,

Brad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i just told you the truck cranks but dies after a minute of running and it not a gray key its blk and i hope thats not the anwser i just paid 38.00 for
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

So the engine stays running for a minute then stalls? Will it start right back up and run another minute? What codes are setting?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it will over and over again
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its just like someone turns off the key
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i was thinkingmaybe automatic shut down
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its not giving any code on dash
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Are you loosing spark or fuel when it stalls? If it's spark you will need a scantool to see if the PCM is telling it to shut off. What year was the Grand Cherokee that you used the engine from?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1999 jeep and i use a 99 computer and tied everything else myself,its just like someone turns the motor off it will do it at te same time everytime
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
a friend of mine has a scantool maybei can hook it up then crank it and see what code it gives when it dies
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Did you use the 1999 wiring harness and PCM in the 2000?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just from computer to dodge harness and then to fuse box everything is operating good and works the fuel pmp is pumping its getting fire because it cranks but its shuting down for some reason
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i know this is a weird question for you , are not the norm, but was oping it was security and could bypass
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

The only way your going to determine the issue is to monitor the PCM with a scantool.. It will show what's going on when it stalls..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ty
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome..