Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Ernie need to change the oil pan gasket on a 2006 dodge

Customer Question

Customer: ernie need to change the oil pan gasket on a 2006 dodge Dakota needed to best way to go about it
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: she loseing about 2quarts of oil a week looks like it is coming from the pan
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Dodge Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Amedee replied 12 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question. Can I start by getting your VIN? I can send the procedure to R and R the oil pan gasket on your vehicle. Thank you!

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
1d7hw48k76s665009
Expert:  Amedee replied 12 months ago.

Thank you one minute..

Expert:  Amedee replied 12 months ago.

Here is the procedure to R and R the oil pan. It is the same to R and R the oil pan gasket.

Expert:  Amedee replied 12 months ago.

PAN-ENGINE OIL

REMOVAL
Disconnect the negative battery cable.
Do not raise engine at this time.
Remove both left and right side engine mount through bolts.

Remove the structural dust cover.
Drain engine oil.
CAUTION: Only raise the engine enough to provide clearance for oil pan removal. Check for proper clearance at fan shroud to fan and cowl to intake manifold.

Raise engine

NOTE: On 4WD vehicles, the front axle must be lowered, to provide clearance for oil pan removal. It is not necessary to remove the front axle from the vehicle, or remove the axle shafts.

For 4WD Vehicles Remove the pinion bracket.

For 4WD Vehicles Disconnect the front driveshaft at the front axle.
For 4WD Vehicles Remove the front axle mounting bolts.
For 4WD Vehicles Lower axle using suitable jack enough to provide clearance to remove oil pan.
NOTE: Do not pry on oil pan or oil pan gasket. Gasket is integral to engine windage tray and does not come out with oil pan.

Remove the oil pan mounting bolts and oil pan.
Unbolt oil pump pickup tube and remove tube.
Inspect the integral windage tray and gasket and replace as needed.
CLEANING
Clean oil pan in solvent and wipe dry with a clean cloth.
Clean the oil pan gasket surface. DO NOT use a grinder wheel or other abrasive tool to clean sealing surface.
Clean oil screen and tube thoroughly in clean solvent.
INSPECTION
Inspect oil drain plug and plug hole for stripped or damaged threads. Repair as necessary.
Inspect the oil pan mounting flange for bends or distortion. Straighten flange, if necessary.
INSTALLATION

Clean the oil pan gasket mating surface of the bedplate and oil pan.

Position the oil pan gasket and pickup tube with new o-ring. Install the mounting bolt and nuts. Tighten bolt and nuts to 28 Nm (20 ft. lbs.).
Position the oil pan and install the mounting bolts. Tighten the mounting bolts to 15 Nm (11 ft. lbs.) in the sequence shown.

Lower the engine
Install both the left and right side engine mount through bolts. Tighten the bolts to 68 Nm (50 ft. lbs.).
Remove special tool # *****

Install structural dust cover.

For 4WD Vehicles Raise axle using suitable jack.
For 4WD Vehicles Install the front axle mounting bolts.
For 4WD Vehicles Install the pinion bracket.
For 4WD Vehicles Install the front driveshaft to the front axle.
Fill engine oil.
Reconnect the negative battery cable.
Start engine and check for leaks.

Expert:  Amedee replied 12 months ago.

Hello! It's Amedee from just answer.

I am just checking in to see how things are going and to see if you need any further assistance?

Please let me know and I will be happy to help!