rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

I cant get my cooling fans to run on 1997 dodge intrepid.

Customer Question

Category: Dodge
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in this business since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident
we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill
level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to
get to satisfactory results. Please be patient!
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.

First, power and ground the fans separately to see if they do work. Then check the wiring. If all this is good, then the temp switch on the motor is defective due to being out of calibration.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, so the fan did run when I jumped a wire across two of the posts in the power distribution block where the relay plugs in...and I've already replaced the coolant temp sensor, but when I jumped across the two terminals, the fan ran for about 10 seconds and blew the 40A fuse that controls the cooling fans.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you tell me how to wire the fans direct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I need to enter a rating before you get back with me again? Not sure how this works.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like you already had them directly wired, y I u just need to out a switch in line now to turn on and off if that's what you want to do.

Please don't forget to rate me and keep this link for future reference.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, that's not what I want. I'd like them to be wired directly and come on only when the key is on if I can't get them to work the way they are supposed to. I need to splice into a hot wire somewhere that is only hot when the key is turned to the on position...I do realize that. But, is there a best place to splice into a specific wire to achieve this? I'd like to make them work the way they are supposed to, but ultimately I just need them to work. What do you suggest?