Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

I have a 2008 dodge ram 2500 6.7 L disel that is blowing

Customer Question

Customer: I have a 2008 dodge ram 2500 6.7 L disel that is blowing fuse 37 with Po102 only error code. It will blow after raplacing it with the ignition turned but not started. truck has egr delete on it. Where do I go from here
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: error code po102 Mass air flow sensor failure. No engine brake when fuse 37 is blown Ive replaced teh air flow sensor. Keeps blowing fuse 37 with key turned on
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Dodge Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure. How long do you think
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
anybody around?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
call me when you have any ideas.(###) ###-####
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** fuse 37 powrs the egr valve, when they did a delete, they may have left the wire toucjing a ground, which would cause the fuse 7 to blow, have you checked the connector at the egr valve yet?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. Can you show me a diagram as to where his is located
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

it is located above the oil filter, below is a diagram showing it, the pink wire at the egr is what goes to the fuse 37, so check this wire real good,Tim

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you sure that this diagram is for a 2008 dodge ram 2500 6.7 diesel? I cant seem to locate that egr terminal around the oil filter???
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Isn't the EGR on the driver side of the engine where the new cover plate is?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I found the plug with the pink wire. It was on the driver side on the intake side of the recirc. Its not plugged into any thing as it has all been deleted. Could there be a short in the plug? dirty? water? Can I test it with a dvom?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
could it be a short to ground of the smart relay?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry, I was offline when you replied last, check the pink wire with the dvom, and see if it is grounded,Tim

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How will i do this? check for resistance with whcich other wire?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It wont have any power because the fuse blows as soon at the key is turned when engine is not running?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

we dont need to see power, if you put the dvom on voltage, then put the black lead from the dvom on the positive battery termnal, then touch the pink wire connector, see if it reads voltage, if it does, then the pink wire is shorted to ground,Tim

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok when I do that I have 12.04 volt to the pink wire
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

ok, then this is the problem, that wire is grounded some where, have yu removed the smart relay, and seen if the fuse still blows?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No ... how do I do that/
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

just unplug the relay

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
where is it located at and how do I find it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ive got to go for now and I will locate it later and let you know thanks for the help
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

it is located near the driverside headlight, below is a diagram showing it,Tim

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Is it under the fuse panel? if So... do i have to remove the fuse panel to get to it??
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
ok I found it. Unplugged it and still blows fuse with key on . Unplugged all MAF sensor and smart relay and still blows fuse. traced pink wire to the ECU (computer) and all looks fine. NOw what?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 12 months ago.

OK, NOW leave the relay unplugged and the ECU, and check that pink wire again, and see if its still grounded?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
how do I un plug the ecu?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
can you show me a picture

you just disconnect it at the ecu, the plug,Tim

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Well now I have a check gauges light on my dash as well as ETC light on. And code reader indicates P063D code generator voltage sense high.

it will set codes if the key is on when you disconnect the ecu plug, you need to check this with the ket off??

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
that happened prior to pulling plug on ecu
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Ok got that one fixed. Now with both ecu plugs un plugged. I still have -12.45v to every pin in the connector. Black probe on positive terminal of battery and red on pin in the plug all read -12.45

ok, then the pink wire is grounded somewhere in the harness, and this is what is causing the fuse to blow, you will have to trace this wire from the egr connetor, al the way to the fuse box, it is grounded soewhere in the harness,Tim

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Why would I have voltage to every pin in the connector with the pink wire?

I dont understand your question, are you checking this with the test light lead on the positve terminal???

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I am checking it with a volt meter on DC volts. every pin in the connector with the pink wire has -12.47 V to it. I find that strange. NOt sure what to be looking for?

would you like to discuss this on the phone?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
for an additional 30 bucks?

I dont set the prices, I just answer the questions,Tim