Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

Have a 2003 1500 4x4 Dodge Ram truck. At times when i

Customer Question

Have a 2003 1500 4x4 Dodge Ram truck. At times when i lightly step on the accelerator just to give it a little gas it seems like the engine skips, like it's struggling to get gas and you'll just be putting along for a while until i mash down on the gas pedal it seems to go away and picks up speed without any incident. This doesn't happen all the time just every so often but when it happens it does not feel right at all.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning,

I've seen this model of Ram develop a flat spot in the throttle position sensor. Sometimes the flat spot will be so wide that the vehicle will even stall out while driving and the driver has to turn the truck off and then restart it before it will run correctly again. This is usually followed by a check engine light and throttle position code. Does your vehicle have the check engine light on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Check engine light is not on. Do you think the throttle position sensor needs to be replaced?
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

It's a very common problem on this year of truck. If it seems to clear up when you mash on the pedal I would say that it is the most likely cause.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

You can test it if you have a multimeter or a good scan tool.

It should be between 0.5 volts and 1.0 volt at closed throttle and should increase as the throttle is opened. If there is a spot where the voltage jumps around then you know it has internal fault.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you need additional info.

Also, don't forget to rate. They don't pay us if we don't get a positive rating.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Replaced the throttle position sensor. Cleaned the throttle valve. This seemed to clear it up but sure enough it is doing it again. I'll have the truck cruising at about 40-50 mph with foot lightly on the gas to maintain speed and the truck just seems to spudder like its about to give out and can't get gas. I have to mash the gas get the rpm's up to fight through it. It's not doing it all the time but is starting to happen more often then not.
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Did you replace the MAP sensor as well? Typically you want to replace them together since they work in correlation. I was going to mention this but I hadn't heard back from you and the question is timing out.

After replacing both you will want to disconnect the battery and clear the adaptives from the computer's memory before driving it or it will likely still act up.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do you clear the adaptives. I don't no why u didn't tell me about the MAP sensor in correlation to the throttle sensor replacement. That would of saved a lot of trouble.
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

I didn't tell you because I didn't know you were going to replace the throttle position sensor. I though you were going to test it first, that's why I told you how to perform the test. Then when I didn't hear back from you I thought you gave up.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had the mechanic go ahead and replace it. If the throttle sensor was not bad does it even make sense to still replace the MAP sensor? Or is it something else entirely.
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

They work in correlation. If one goes bad and you replace it, the other (which is now 12 years old) can't keep up. Normally you would test it to make sure first. It''s really hard to say if it was the cause of the problem at this point, but if the position sensor is new and the MAP is old, it's not going to run normally.

Dodges are so sensitive when it comes to electronic parts.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when you unplug the battery and clear the adaptives, how do you clear the adaptives?
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

You pull both battery cables and then hold them together for about 1 minute. Then hook them back up to the battery like normal.

This will clear all of the memory modules and will make them relearn throttle position, fuel trims, and shift points based on your driving habits.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Just wanted to check and see if you need any additional info.

Please let me know if you do, and if you are ready to rate.