Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

I have a 2007 Dodge Ram 3500 that has a tachometer that does

Customer Question

I have a 2007 Dodge Ram 3500 that has a tachometer that does not read anything that makes sense and will spin 360 degrees in circles. The check engine light is on all the time. Do know if this is a dash board problem or anot actual tach reader problem? The truck idles normally and see no problems with it abruptly changing in its idle speed but the tach reads randomly and sometimes just sticks in place reading 4000 rpm.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

well first thing we need to find out is why the check engine light is on you WILL need a good scan tool or code reader to see the codes, it MAY be a sensor out f wack sending a crazy signal to the cluster causing the tach to go crazy OR it may be the cluster itself, the first step is find out the codes the ecm has set