-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

I have a 2004 3500 dodge ram 5.9 Cummins 6 speed maual. I

Customer Question

I have a 2004 3500 dodge ram 5.9 Cummins 6 speed maual. I had power steering and brakes cut out at same time. made alot of groaning noise. It happend under heavy use whole backing up a trailer in mud. I assumed it was Power steering pump since both brakes and steering where effected. I replaced pump, fixed power steer for a short time, no effect on breaking. And the truck went right back to no steering and brakes but the braked are even worst. They only work if aggressively depress pedal. If I press slowly the pedal just sinks to floor with vehical on or off. I'm leaning towards a bad master cylinder and booster unit...
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Good evening and welcome to JustAnswer!!!

If you can press on the brakes and they go all the way to the floor then you will need to replace your hydro-boost. I attached a picture of the Hydro-boost on your vehicle..

HYDRAULIC BOOSTER

The hydraulic booster uses hydraulic pressure from the power steering pump. Before diagnosing a booster problem, first verify the power steering pump is operating properly. Perform the following checks.

• Check the power steering fluid level.
  • Check the brake fluid level.
  • Check all power steering hoses and lines for leaks and restrictions.
  • Check power steering pump pressure.

NOISES

The hydraulic booster unit will produce certain characteristic booster noises. The noises may occur when the brake pedal is used in a manner not associated with normal braking or driving habits.

HISSING

A hissing noise may be noticed when above normal brake pedal pressure is applied, 40 lbs. or above. The noise will be more noticeable if the vehicle is not moving. The noise will increase with the brake pedal pressure and an increase of system operating temperature.

CLUNK-CHATTER-CLICKING

A clunk-chatter-clicking may be noticed when the brake pedal is released quickly, after above normal brake pedal pressure is applied 50-100 lbs..

BOOSTER FUNCTION TEST

With the engine off depress the brake pedal several times to discharge the accumulator. Then depress the brake pedal using 40 lbs. of force and start the engine. The brake pedal should fall and then push back against your foot. This indicates the booster is operating properly.

ACCUMULATOR LEAKDOWN

1. Start the engine, apply the brakes and turn the steering wheel from lock to lock. This will ensure the accumulator is charged. Turn off the engine and let the vehicle sit for one hour. After one hour there should be at least two power assisted brake application with the engine off. If the system does not retain a charge the booster must be replaced.
  2. With the engine off depress the brake pedal several times to discharge the accumulator. Grasp the accumulator and see if it wobbles or turns. If it does the accumulator has lost a gas charge and the booster must be replaced.

I hope this helps,

Brad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I will replace and test hopefully that's the ticket, thanks for fast response.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome!!

And thank you for the positive rating so I'm compensated for my time..

Have a great evening,

Brad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you know if i Can just order a seal kit for it? They seem pricey.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

We(dealership) don't offer a seal kit, but >>THESE<< guys do..

Glad I could help and thank you for the positive rating,

Brad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You know, I was expecting to get charged after confirming your diagnosis . I just got charged 40 bucks for shit I already knew. I was hoping for a detailed explanation. Anyways if your wrong I expect continured support until it's resolved.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Brad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Update, I replaced whole hydro boost system and master cylinder just for good measure. Truck brakes are much better buts something is still wrong. Lots of loud whining when presING the brake or turning steering wheel. Can not turn wheels at stand still......other than my steering box causing all this I'm out of ideas.....