Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

I have a 2007 dodge ram 2500 5.9 diesel, notice my tranny

Customer Question

Hi Jerry, I have a 2007 dodge ram 2500 5.9 diesel, notice my tranny fluid was low, and now after filling tran fluid, it wont go into overdrive.
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
also before I noticed trans fluid was low, it was slipping going into 1,2,3 gears then in overdrive it was going in and out of 4/5th gears while driving at steady speed. now trans fluid filled to correct level, wont go into overdrive at all, but all other gears are shifting correctly.
Expert:  Jared D replied 12 months ago.

What type of transmission fluid did you add?

How much would you say you put in?

When you checked the level it was idling in neutral right?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I added atf+4 as in owners manual. after sending you initial question, I looked underneath truck and leaking a lot of tran fluid. possible a blown seal I guess. I put 3 quart in an all the gears are shifting fine now, but just wont go into overdrive. yes I let the truck idle for about 15-20 minutes and checked trans fluid level while engine running and in neutral.
Expert:  Jared D replied 12 months ago.

The fluid was correct, as well as you method for checking it.

The overdrive is one of the first to go when it get's starved for fluid. I'm willing to bet that there is a in internal failure.

Expert:  Jared D replied 12 months ago.

Please let me know if you need additional information.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No the tailhousing was cracked leaking fluid. I wont use this service again. you pretty much told me my transmission was broken which I already knew. thanks anyway.