Dodgerench
Dodgerench, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30+ years Dodge/Chrysler exp., ASE Master with L1 certification. Driveability/ combustion specialist
4486286

200 dodge intrepid interior lights do not come when you open

Customer Question

200 dodge intrepid interior lights do not come when you open just the drivers door what controls this ?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer!. This is Ed.

From your post, I'm expecting that all other doors actually turn the interior lights on when opened. You were pretty clear on that, but not absolutely specific, so that's where I'm working.

That said, if all other doors actually trip the interior lights, your problem is with door wiring, almost certainly in the jamb area between the door and body. This is a high-stress area for copper wiring, suffering a little distress at each operation of the door, both opening and closing. Pull the accordion sheath off at the body side of the opening and pull on each of the wires you find. Don't be afraid to pull with several pounds of force because good wiring can withstand many times this and bad wiring... well... it just snaps or pulls through.

My preference is to open up the wiring and replace the bad section with fresh stuff from an inch or better on either side of the break. The spot it snapped is the natural "bad spot" so you really need to have maximum flexibility in that area-- not a rigid repair that would be associated with solder and shrink tube, so my approach is to LOOP the wiring up, past and back to complete the repair. You'll use about 3x the amount of wire originally in place, but it ensures that you have good fresh wire in the flex zone.

Ed